A mixed-methods study into the role of the time variable in the construct of computerized C-Tests in three languages
The C-Test is a cloze test that is often used for placement purposes at universities and language centers.
Our project is concerned with the influence of time on the C-Test. We are investigating a new computer-based, time-reduced C-Test, the so-called speeded C-Test (S-C-Test) in German, English and Russian. Certainly, such a test will allow faster and more efficient performance. At the same time, we want to better understand the role of time in the test construct. Indeed, it may be that the S-C test captures different abilities than the traditional C-Test.
We want to investigate this in three different languages with learners at different language levels.
Requirements for participation
- You are a student.
- You are learning or speak Russian (all levels) or German (levels C1-C2) as a foreign language.
- You are between 18 and 35 years old.
- You have a suitable device (PC, laptop or tablet) and a stable internet connection.
- You have a headset with microphone.
- German language learners: You will need a German keyboard (virtual is also possible).
- Russian language learners: You will need a Russian keyboard (virtual is also possible).
What to do
- You will complete several innovative computer-based language tests
- Duration: between 2 and 2.5 hours
- Location: online; in a suitable quiet place of your choice
What you get in return
You will receive a fee of € 20 for participation (you must have completed all parts of the study). Please note that we can only process payments in the SEPA area or via Paypal.